For fantasy football players of every kind, the NFL Draft plays an important role in determining players to pick in upcoming rookie drafts. Here is my early fantasy spin on Day 2’s events. Players are listed by position and order selected not necessarily in order as I would rate them.
No QB on Day 2 has any fantasy value.
1. Shonn Greene – Jets: The Jets start off day 2 with a bang and land their future RB in Greene. He will be a year or 2 away until Jones’ contract expires, but look for him to take over the running duties on a team that has a good young offensive line.
2. Glen Coffee – 49ers: Could serve as a short yardage back for the Niners as the knock on Gore has been that he can’t pound it into the end zone in short-yardage situations.
3. James Davis – Browns: This Round 6 RB could become the number 2 RB in Cleveland very easily. I don’t think they drafted him with the mindset of him being Jamal’s replacement, but he may spell the veteran back and becomes a handcuff for Lewis owners.
4. Rashad Jennings – Jaguars: My sleeper pick almost slept himself right out of the draft. Although he landed on a team that has a need for a number 2 RB now that Fred Taylor has departed. I don’t foresee him taking many carries away from Maurice Jones Drew, but he becomes a necessary handcuff for MJD owners.
1. Juaquin Iglesias – Bears: Here is a receiver that could challenge Earl Bennett for the WR2 position on the team, although I think Bennett wins this battle due to more experience in the Bears system and a familiarity in playing with Cutler at Vandy.
1. Chase Coffman – Bengals: Nice pickup by the Bengals with the 98th overall selection in the draft. I think his receiving numbers will rival that of Pettigrew, who went in the first round, because he has a legitimate QB in Palmer throwing to him.
2. Shawn Nelson – Bills: Bills also meet the need of getting a receiving TE. I don’t expect as much from him since Edwards has Owens and Evans to throw to on the edge, but he is a nice upgrade at the position nonetheless.
3. Cornelius Ingram – Eagles: The Eagles TE position intrigues me because usually McNabb looks to the TE around the goal line a lot. Ingram is athletic but is coming off knee surgery and has a big injury question mark coming into the NFL. At the point in the draft where the Eagles selected him though he was worth the risk/reward gamble. Could be competing with playoff hero Brent Celek for the position.
Well that completes my review and comments on Day 2 of the NFL Draft from a fantasy perspective. Players that I like from Day 2 are Shonn Greene of the Jets and Chase Coffman of the Bengals.
I welcome any comments, suggestions or opinions on this subject as these only represent my view on the players drafted.