We here at Chinstrap Ninjas believe in accountability for what we do. So we are going to reflect back at our preseason predictions and tell you about the good, the bad and the ugly.
First we will start with a look at the quarterbacks.
We will look at how the quarterbacks finished based on standard scoring 6 points per passing TD and -2 points per interception.
The composite ranks were comprised of preseason rankings from CBS Sportsline.com, Foxsports.com, Yahoo.com, ESPN.com, NFL.com, our own jzak, and our own sockonfl.
- Tom Brady– (jzak-6)(ep’s adp-4)(sockonfl-4)(composite-4) Looks like a three way tie for the closest prediction here. Brady was phenomenal down the stretch of 2010 earning him the #1 spot. jzak had the lowest ranking on Brady of 6th.
- Aaron Rodgers– (jzak-1)(ep’s ADP-1)(sockonfl-1)(composite-2) Well the experts making up the composite ranking nailed this one. All three ninjas were not far off predicting Rodgers at #1 instead of #2.
- Peyton Manning– (jzak-3)(ep’s ADP-3)(sockonfl-2)(composite-3) Sockonfl was the only one to miss on this ranking. He didn’t miss by much, only being 1 slot off the final ranking.
- Michael Vick– None of the ninjas had Vick even ranked for 2010. The experts missed this one too as Vick wasn’t found in their top 32 either. Everyone had Kevin Kolb being the star of the show. Jzak and I went to the Linc to watch Philly’s opener. What we thought was the beginning of the Kevin Kolb era in Philly, turned out to be the beginning of the Vick era in Philly. He undoubtedly was the best quarterback pickup off of waivers in your league for 2010.
- Philip Rivers– (jzak-7)(ep’s ADP-6)(sockonfl-5)(composite-7) Sockonfl turned in the exact ranking for Rivers for 2010. The others only missed slightly.
- Drew Brees– (jzak-2)(ep’s ADP-2)(sockonfl-3)(composite-1) Looks like we all missed slightly on this one. Sockonfl was closest with his 3rd ranking.
- Josh Freeman – (jzak-NR)(ep’s ADP-22)(sockonfl-29)(composite-29) Looks like ADP did the best job here but we were all well off the mark of Josh Freeman’s breakout season.
- Matt Ryan – (jzak-9)(ep’s ADP-10)(sockonfl-10)(composite-10) Jzak did the best job evaluating Ryan. He was only one slot off from his true ranking.
- Matt Schaub– (jzak-4)(ep’s ADP-7)(sockonfl-6)(composite-5) Looks like ADP did the best job with Schaub. Everyone else expected a bigger season. Perhaps the emergence of Arian Foster had to do a lot with his productivity reduction.
- Eli Manning – (jzak-11)(ep’s ADP-13)(sockonfl-12)(composite-11) jzak and the composite experts tied for best Eli Manning ranking and were only 1 slot off from his actual ranking.
- Matt Cassel– (jzak-NR)(ep’s ADP-21)(sockonfl-27)(composite-21) ep’s ADP and the experts tied with the closest rank but were still way below what Cassel finished the season at. Say thanks to Dwayne Bowe and former offensive coordinator Charlie Weis.
- Joe Flacco– (jzak-12)(ep’s ADP-11)(sockonfl-9)(composite-9) Jzak was the only one to nail Flacco’s ranking exactly. Looks like others had higher expectations for Flacco with the revamped WR corp.
- Carson Palmer– (jzak-16)(ep’s ADP-15)(sockonfl-13)(composite-15) Sockonfl’s ranking was right on the dot here nailing his 13th rank.
- David Garrard – (jzak-NR)(ep’s ADP-NR)(sockonfl-25)(composite-22) We all missed badly on this one. The experts were the closest but even they were not that close with an overall 22nd rank.
- Jay Cutler – (jzak-8)(ep’s ADP-8)(sockonfl-11)(composite-8) Sockonfl was closest with his 11th ranking. Looks like everyone had higher expectations for Cutler in year one of the Martz system.
The closest to rankings breakdowns went as follows: (Each person given 1 point for being closest to ranking with ties split evenly)
- Sockonfl – 4.33
- Composite – 3.66
- EP’s ADP – 3.16
- Jzak – 2.83
Congratulations to sockonfl for beating the composite experts rankings at quarterback for 2010.