I haven’t posted anything of much substance this week, and this post won’t be long either — it is almost kickoff time.
However, I’ll give you three assassins (studs) and three targets (duds) and a bonus prediction for good measure.
The clock is ticking on kickoff for Week 6, so no more rambling. On with the predictions:
- Kurt Warner, QB, ARZ. against Dallas. The Cowboys DBs are banged up, Warner’s got weapons and, apparently, some life left in that arm
- Kevin Walter, WR, HOU. He’s not going to lead the league, but with Miami’s improving defense focusing on Andre Johnson, Walter will come open underneath. He’ll probably catch 6-8 balls for 70-90 yards and a score. That’s a pretty good haul for a guy still available on some waiver wires.
- Ben Watson, TE, NEP. Yep, a Ben Watson sighting. Look, he’s going up against the Chargers, who stuffed Anthony Fasano last week, but have been a doormat to TEs all year. They allowed Dante Rosario to catch that game-winning TD, and Tony Scheffler, Dustin Keller and Zach Miller all took advantage. San Diego is giving up an average of 14.5 points to TEs in non-PPR leagues. So, let’s boost that up to 20 to 25 points per game. If you don’t have Witten or Fasano, or any of the other big guns, play Watson.
- Kyle Orton, QB, CHI. Yep, I know he’s the fantasy darling right now, but the wheels fall off this week. Look, I just have a feeling Brandon Lloyd’s injury is going to hurt the passing game more than most people expect.
- Steve Slaton, RB, HOU. He is an up-and-coming star, but temper expectations this week. Ahman Green’s back and will probably swipe a couple carries. The Dolphins defense is stingy against RBs.
- Arnaz Battle (or Isaac Bruce), WR, SF. Yes, it’s a Mike Martz system. Yes, they’ve both had big games. Yes, the Eagles are going to chuck it around and likely score a lot of points. No, J.T. O’Sullivan is not ready to face a defensive backfield that features Asante Samuel, Sheldon Brown and Brian Dawkins, and has Lito Sheppard coming off the bench. Not happening this week. Screens to Gore, maybe a few "Oh Jesus!, get ride of it, get rid of its" to Vernon Davis.
This is going to be an interesting week for wide receivers, so here are a few more points.
- I’m not worried about the Bengals’ T.J. Houshmandzadeh with Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing to him.
- I think the Broncos’ Brandon Stokley finishes with more than 100 yards and a TD — he’ll fill in for Eddie Royal
- I contemplated playing the Cardinals’ Larry Fitzgerald and Steve Breaston in one league. That’s how much I like their matchup with the Cowboys this week.
- Remember Green Bay’s Donald Driver during the Favre years? This week he will return.
Enjoy the games, I’ll review these picks early next week.