I like to read Matthew Berry’s fantasy columns at ESPN. I’m not always in agreement with his predictions/projections/opinions, but he is entertaining to read if nothing else.
If you haven’t read Berry’s Draft Day Manifesto or his 2009 Love/Hate lists, give them a read when you have time. It’s always beneficial to get multiple points of view on players and teams. Use multiple sources along with Chinstrap Ninjas to determine your own rankings and ideas. That’s how Ninjas do it.
Another column, that was talked about in the Chinstrap Ninjas offices last week (They are so going to happen, even if we can only rent a building for a week) was Berry’s You Heard Me!, a piece with some bold and some expectedly “bold” statements in it. Again it was another good read, but it got me thinking about my own bold, crazy thoughts.
So, with the explanation – and proper credits – out of the way, I’m going to present to you what should be a regular column from now until the Internet blows up from too many people on too many forums typing FIRST!!111!
I give you five quick tips. And me, I’m a crazy person
1. Felix Jones will outscore Julius Jones who will outscore Thomas Jones. All three will be an RB3 or higher.
2. The owner who wins your league this year will start two of the following players: Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings, Andre Johnson, Roddy White, Randy Moss and Reggie Wayne (in that order). If you don’t get one of those guys, trade for one. If you already have one, trade a No. 2 RB for another one.
3. Aaron Rodgers replaces Peyton Manning in the top tier next year.
4. Why not settle for Chris Brown or TJ Duckett as your No. 5 RB? They’re not sexy, but goal-line work is goal-line work and you can get them dirty cheap.
5. Defensive rankings, and those who put a lot of stock in drafting a defense early, crack me up. I’ve seen Tampa Bay ranked 5th, 19th and unranked on different lists. That seems about right. Ninja, be patient.
What’s your crazy prediction for 2009? jzak already provided a bold sleeper QB, you should check that out too.