Email to: ep(at)chinstrapninjas(dot)com
Searching through the waiver wire and making the right pickups at the right times can result in huge benefits. The Stealthy Ninjas column is here to let you know the kinds of players you’ll find available on your wire and whether it’s worth wasting a roster spot on them or not.
Each week, I’ll outline a couple hitters and a couple pitchers that had great weeks and are more than likely available on your waiver wire based on ownership rates in Yahoo’s leagues. This week we’ll start with hitters:
Willie Bloomquist, SS/OF, Royals (4%) Key stats: .476 average, .1.214 OPS, 3 SB.
- Advice: He was a one-percenter last week. His MI/OF eligibility is enticing. He’s never earned full-time ABs since his 2002 debut. If he gets 500 ABs, .280 average and 30 steals are not out of the question. That makes him a bit of a side salad, but if you need speed help, he’ll fit the bill.
Michael Cuddyer, OF, Twins (4%) Key stats: .391 AVG, 1.114 OPS, 2B, 3B, HR, 7 RBI
- Advice: I’m still buying on Cuddyer, he was a 1% ninja last week. He’s up to 4% now. Pick him up, or maybe you have no need for an 80-run, 80 RBI, 20 homer outfielder?
Jesus Flores, C, Nationals (16%) Key Stats: .384 AVG, 1.254 OPS, 2 HR, 4 RBI
- Advice: His .311 season batting average is only .004 points above his career OBP. He’s probably not going to stay this hot all season, but 10 to 15 homers, 80 RBIs and a .270 average are not necessarily out of the question. For those of you using the rotating method to fill your C category, Flores has to be considered an option.
Michael Bourn, OF, Astros (25%) Key Stats: .296 AVG, .763 OPS, 2 2Bs, 2 SB
- Advice: Another speed side salad for you this week. He’ll steal away, but you’re going to need a counter for his batting average.
Matt Harrison, SP, Rangers (1%) Key stats: 14.0 IP, 2 W, 10 H, 1 BB, 8 K, 0.00 ERA, 0.79 WHIP.
- Advice: The spotless ERA and 2 wins still feel a little fluky. Give him one more start before biting.
Matt Palmer, SP, Angels (2%) Key stats: 11.2 IP, 2 W, 7 K, 1.54 ERA, 0.86 WHIP
- Advice: Palmer is the No. 4 starter on a good team. His Ks are pedestrian, let him go for a couple more starts.
Shairon Martis, SP, Nationals (2%) Key Stats: 14.1 IP, 2 W, 1 CG, 14 H, 12 K, 1 BB, 2.51 ERA, 1.12 WHIP
- Advice: Complete game, 12 K in 14.1 IP is intriguing. Then again, so are the 14 hits. But Martis’ Ks still make him a better option than Harrison or Palmer.
LaTroy Hawkins, RP, Astros (35%) Key Stats: 3.2 IP, 2 BB, 7 K, 0.00 ERA, 0.55 WHIP
- Advice: Need relief help? This Astros reliever is very available and he racked up almost 2 Ks per inning last week. Last year Hawkins had 25 Ks in 21 innings.
What do you think? Going after Davis? How about Fontenot? What players have you targeted? Let us know in the comments, or visit our message boards and start a conversation.