Like a child trying to sleep on Christmas Eve, the excitement of the NFL draft is downright distracting. Visions of trades and draft value shockers are dancing in my head. I can’t think.
Of course, being a good chinstrap ninja, you’ve likely already checked out jaymo’s mock draft and consigliere’s first round mock and detailed explanation of what is going on in the world of NFL labor disputes. You’ve seen great player spotlights (AJ Green, DJ Williams, Christian Ponder, Cam Newton) and socko’s combine snapshots (TE, WR). And, if you are as ticked off about the whole NFL lockout and financial dispute, you’ve likely grumbled along with my letter to the endearing fans of NFL football.
And now, we’re on the cusp of an NFL draft, and while it may be muted somewhat by the labor garbage, it is still an NFL draft. To honor the moment, chinstrap ninjas sockonfl and jzak met in the Subway restaurant war room to talk some last minte bold predictions for the first round of action. Here are our top five bold predictions each for the first round. We’d love to hear your own predictions in the comments below …
1. Blaine Gabbert goes first overall to the Carolina Panthers.
2. Jake Locker is a top 10 draft pick when all the dust settles.
3. Patriots trade pick 28 to the Bengals, who then swoop in and draft Christian Ponder.
4. Texans trade up to the Cleveland Browns No. 6 slot and draft Patrick Peterson.
5. Buffalo drafts Cam Newton.
1. Cam Newton is the first overall draft pick (not a bold prediction, but hoping to get at least one of these right)
2. Ryan Mallett falls out of the first round
3. Mark Ingram falls to the Seattle Seahawks, who zig to the RB instead of zagging towards a QB
4. Packers trade out of the first round to someone who is scrambling for a QB.
5. Falcons get bold themselves, trading up to Cleveland’s No. 6 overall pick and taking either AJ Green or Julio Jones to make their offense that much more dynamic.