Now we’re really under a time crunch here, so we must go through these relatively quickly.
It’s difficult to look at the matchups through a lens that filters out our perception of skills, but we must if we want to find diamonds in the rough and charcoal in the king’s crown. (Too goofy? Eh, I’m going to let it go.) Starting the right sleepers and avoiding the busts will be crucial for you Sunday when you try to take down me and 92,000 other fanatics for a $1 million top prize at Draft Kings.
For the record, my best and worst defensive rankings are based on Football Outsiders’ Defensive Efficiency ratings, not yardage (which is too incomplete) or fantasy points (which can be Larry Donnell’d).
Please note that I’d love to be able to write 1,800 words on every position, like I did with the quarterbacks, but like Jack Bauer we’re all running out of time. I have included some notes on an as-necessary basis.
Top WR 3/4 matchups
(NOTE: The WR at the front of the list is the WR3 and the best play)
1. Justin Brown/Lance Moore vs. Jacksonville — Plus matchup
2. Cole Beasley/Dwayne Harris/Devin Street vs. Houston
3. Mike Brown/Taverres King vs. Pittsburgh
4. Wes Welker/Andre Caldwell/Cody Latimer vs. Arizona
5. John Brown/Ted Ginn Jr. vs. Denver — Plus matchup
6. Corey Fuller/Jeremy Ross vs. Buffalo
7. A.J. Jenkins/Junior Hemingway vs. San Francisco — Plus matchup
8. Ricardo Lockette/Jermaine Kearse vs. Washington
9. T.Y. Hilton/Donte Moncrief/Griff Whalen vs. Baltimore
10. Keshawn Martin/Devier Posey/Damaris Johnson vs. Dallas
Bad WR3/4 matchups
1. Jordan Matthews/Brad Smith/Jeff Maehl vs. St. Louis
2. Travis Benjamin/Taylor Gabriel vs. Tennessee
3. Brandon Tate/James Wright vs. New England
4. Danny Amendola/Aaron Dobson vs. Cincinnati
5. Green Bay played Thursday night.
6. Tavon Austin/Chris Givens vs. Philadelphia
7. Devin Hester/Harry Dougles/Eric Weems vs. New York Giants
8. Marquess Wilson/Josh Morgan/Santonio Holmes vs. Carolina
9. Miami is on bye.
10. Minnesota played Thursday night.